Currently I'm reading: Jenseits vom Tatort by Horst Brandt

About Me

Followers

Add me

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Page visits

Follow me on

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Peggy Farooqi is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

26 March 2014

Title
Insomnia
Author
Stephen King
Publisher
Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date

Pages
760
Genre
paranormal,horror
When I typed 'Insomnia in books' into Amazon, a whole hosts of book came up on Sleeping disorders (and the Stephen King novel was about 10 books down the search). I can only image what debilitating condition insomnia is, and I have to say that I am very lucky that, as soon as my head hits the pillow and the light/Kindle is out, I'm asleep. On the few occasions that I did suffer from insomnia - mainly because something important was going to happen the next day and I just couldn't get to sleep - well, it was just awful. So I can't possibly imagine how people deal with it who have to cope with it almost every day. 

But coming back to the Stephen King book with the same name, King himself has admitted that he suffers from insomnia. 

I have purchased and read this book quite a few years back and would like to review / list it here today as part of my ongoing Stephen King feature / collection. 

Another of King's book which is set in the (fictional) town of Derry, Maine. The main protagonist in the book is Ralph Roberts, a man in his 70's who has recently lost his wife. He starts to suffer from severe insomnia which seems to be getting worse and worse, and he wakes earlier and earlier. Than he starts to see hallucinations, auras around people, and he thinks he is losing his mind due to lack of sleep. But is good old friend is also not quite right, being strange and downright violent when he used to be a very mild-mannered man. Than Ralph starts seeing little man in black coats who seem to want to help him, but there is also a bad one. It's almost like his lack of sleep awakes other senses in him which make him see things which others can't see. And it is not pleasant what he starts to sees in his home town and it looks it is up to him to rescue the town.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as some of King's books. And I can't even put my finger on it exactly. The book is quite long, almost 800 pages. The loved the beginning and Ralph's descent into the severe insomnia was credible and I was keen to see what's going on. But, in my opinion, it does seem to get a bit difficult to understand what exactly is going on and I couldn't quite entangle and make sense of the story in the middle I suppose. Maybe I would need to re-read it. What I did like though is that the main 'hero' of the story is a senior citizen of over 70 years. Hurray for that - you don't see that very often!